This Should Really Be Two Posts

This should really be two separate posts, but I'm hesitant to split up two dishes in the same meal. 

Our entree, these Philly Cheesesteak Rolls, was very so-so.  It turns out, puff pastry isn't my thing.  It was super dry, and messy, especially eating outside in a strong breeze.  My whole neighborhood is probably littered with pieces of pastry.  We all agreed that the filling was good, but would be better wrapped up in crescent rolls, pizza crust, anything else.

The meal was redeemed by this:


Strawberry Sour Cream Pie

Remembered those words, because I've no doubt you'll probably see a lot of variations of this recipe in the future. SO GOOD.  SO EASY.  Just lovely.

Normally, I'm not big into fruit pie.  I like fruit and I love pie crust, but usually the combination of the two leaves me wanting.  Not this time, friends.  I think part of the equation is the prep time necessary for a fresh fruit pie (pie filling pies do not even approximate pie in my book).  The work of getting the filling ready takes away some of my pleasure in consuming the pie.  This one, however, was super fast and easy.  If you start with smaller fruit--blueberries or raspberries for example (and they'd be totally yummy)--you wouldn't need to do anything but wash them and stir them in!

The flour, sugar and sour cream form a lovely filling around the berries that is doughnut filling reminiscent when the pie is still warm.  When the pie is chilled, it's more like a moist shortcake.  Yum!

Moral of this story?  Skip straight to dessert.

Comments