50/50

There are some recipes that leave me with a dilemma.  Should it stay or should it go when the reaction is mixed?

My husband liked this Honey & Spice Baked Chicken.  I was so-so, and thought it could use a stronger honey flavor to counteract the spices.  The little one said at first that it was too spicy, then proceeded to eat more than she normally does, after she had finished dessert.  So you can see my dilemma.  What to do, what to do?

The spices in this recipe were pretty intense for what we normally eat, and that's with leaving some of the spices out.  I left out the cayenne, because I didn't have any, and I only used about a third of the paprika because all of a sudden I was out.  I did decide to make the recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, too.  I felt like the thigh portion more closely matched the 5oz size given in the recipe than any boneless, skinless chicken breast I've found.  The thigh may be a better choice, actually.  The moisture of dark meat was a nice counter to the spicy crust.

I served some sliced apple as a side with our meal, and the combination of flavors was very good.  I think this dish could use a little apple juice in the glaze or even apples baked with the chicken to sweeten it just a touch more.   

So, do I make it again?  It's a toss-up.

Comments