Travel Snacks


We just returned from a fantastic week on Tybee Island.  If you are looking for a great family beach vacation, definitely consider a visit. 

We broke up the travel time into a two-day trek each way.  There's something about a road trip that brings about this intense desire to snack.  Sometimes we buy snacks along the way.  Sometimes we take them with us.  This time we did both.

Before we left, my little dolly requested snack mix.  I've made it clear on more than one occasion that I love snack mix so when she requested snack mix, it took some digging to figure out which one she meant.  This is one of my favorite recipes for a couple of reasons (so much so, that I can't believe I've never posted the recipe before).  A friend once made this mix and gave me a small container as a holiday gift.  I loved it and then realized I had the recipe in a cookbook from a local camp.
Here's why it's a great recipe:
1. There's no baking.  No watching the oven or microwave for several intervals waiting for the flavors to work together.
2. It makes a ton.  This is a great recipe to give as gifts, take to large organizational potlucks, anywhere you need a great quantity.  You can even make it festive by using the holiday M&Ms of your choice.

There are so many variations to this recipe.  I often use Rice Chex cereal in place of Crispix.  I also have tried different kinds of pretzels--I like the buttery kinds best.  One of my favorite changes is to add Bugles.  They add just the right touch.
This time I tried using the Peanut Butter M&Ms.  They were delicious.  Next time I might also add the pretzel and peanut variety.  Just to see what happens.

Comments