Congo Bars

My sister got to host a Kraft Foods Ultimate Sandwich Makeover House Party with the new Carving Board meats from Oscar Mayer.  I volunteered to bring dessert because I had just spotted this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe for Congo Bars.  Blondies and brownies?  Together in one fabulous dessert?  Sold.

These are not simple to prepare.  They are not difficult, but be ready for lots of dishes to wash and several steps in the process.  I'm not crazy about extra steps and dishes so I had really high hopes that these would be worth it.

The reviews were pretty consistent from the party crowd--good, but you couldn't really taste the blondie layer.  A real bummer for me 'cause I like blondies more than brownies.  My husband loved the chocolate layer and volunteered me to just make the chocolate layer in the future.  It is a dense, fudgy layer with a rich chocolate flavor.

I'm withholding judgement as to whether I'll make these again.  Perhaps when I get over my disappointment at the recessive flavor blondies, I'll be ready to try it again.

Comments