Red Velvet Obsession

This past holiday season, it seems I zeroed in on any and every recipe for containing the words "red velvet".

We've always liked red cake in my family. My brother always chose it for his birthday cake, and mom let us eat the leftovers for breakfast. (What a mom, huh?!!)

Lately, too, it seems everything commercially is showing up red velvet--cake mixes, yogurt, and even milk. For the record, the Cheesecake Factory Red Velvet Cheesecake from Sam's is to die for. I took it to a Christmas party with some friends and was quite happy that there were leftovers to bring home.

Back to my red velvet obsession. I found recipes this holiday season for red velvet shortbread, searched high and low for a copycat of the cheesecake, and basically developed a small library of purely red velvet recipes, including this one from Plain Chicken for Red Velvet Brownies.

They are a rich, fudgy brownie with the distinctly red velvet flavor. I tried the cream cheese frosting recipe too. I know the cream cheese and red velvet seem to be a match made in heaven for many, but I am about 50/50 on the combination. I loved the red velvet cheesecake, but I don't like cream cheese frosting on red velvet cake. Mom always made her red cakes with a cooked milk frosting and that is definitely my preference. If I make these brownies again, I might go with a traditional buttercream or even omit frosting all together. These can definitely stand on their own.

Stay tuned for more "red velvet" recipes. Valentine's Day is just around the corner and the red definitely fits the theme!

Comments