Family, Football, and Food

There's a little Bears/Packers rivalry that brews in this family (I am an innocent bystander), and more than enough reason to get together, eat well, and cheer on our favorite teams. Or take a nap.

I made lunch and my sister brought dinner. It's always a challenge for me to get lunch put together that will be ready when we get home from church. Of course the slow cooker is the answer, but there are idiosyncracies, even with that. Time has to be long enough, but not too long etc. Since our weekend turned out a little differently than planned, I decided to use Saturday's meal for lunch. This Slow-Cooker Baked Ziti had perfect timing. It was good too! Terrific with foccacia bread made from my sister's recipe. My only modification was dried basil instead of fresh.

Our sides included this awesome Apple Cherry Salad. It was SO easy to make and tasted yummy. Both my sister and I were transported back to our childhood when Mom would make Danish dessert. I don't do vegetables in jello so I just left the celery out.

Dessert was a simple Pistachio Cake from Tasty Kitchen. I like recipes that are made from things I already have on hand. As much as I enjoy shopping, grocery shopping is not high on my list of favored activities--I hate that I forget something every time. I did add a little green food coloring to punch up the green color of the cake just a little. This would definitely be a fun dessert for St. Patrick's Day. However, next time I make it I'll add a glaze or icing of some kind. The sifted powdered sugar was fine, but just not enough.

So, the final result? The game didn't go our way, but the food definitely did!

Comments