Sometimes They Surprise You

Wednesday was Awana night again for us and my turn to cook. My menu plan was to have ham and au gratin potatoes and I fully planned on using the boxed kind of potatoes. As I got to thinking about, though, I realized I have several potatoes in the pantry that if I don't use, I'll forget.
I did a quick search for a crockpot au gratin potato recipe online and found this one for Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes on All Recipes. I read some of the reviews and decided to cook the onion in with the white sauce. I also probably used only a quarter of an onion rather than a full one. The reviews also said to make extra sauce. I added an additional third to everything and that seemed to be a good amount. I also made sure to add some salt, pepper and seasoning salt to the sauce before adding the cheese. In addition to the potatoes, I cooked ham and frozen green beans to make more of a casserole.
Knowing I was making ham, I was looking for a pineapple side to complement it. This Hawaiian Salad seemed simple and quick, always a good thing. I added a bit of salt and minced onion to the dressing, but the simplicity was what made this side tasty.
Many years ago, early in our marriage, I tried a recipe similar to this one for Quick Toffee Bars. Neither of us was impressed. Since that time I've seen many similar recipes but steered clear because of the first go round. I was looking for something quick tonight and decided to have another go. This time was much better--mmmmm butter. So now it's a keeper. I used all pecans for the nuts and used parchment paper instead of wax paper.
To sum up? Nothing fancy, but a satisfying meal and surprise too.

Comments