Keeping My Good Wife/Mom Certification


In almost 10 years of marriage, I've never made Tater Tot Casserole! I finally remembered to add it to the menu plan for January and we had it last night. It's funny that it is such a traditional, staple recipe for a lot of families and yet I had never gotten around to it. In preparation for making the casserole, I did some digging for recipes online. I was amazed by all the different combinations of ingredients that people use for a recipe of the same name. I was especially confused by the ratio of ingredients. There was any where from a half pound to two full pounds of meat, and between one to three cans of condensed "cream of" soups. Some added milk or evaporated milk, some did not. Some added cheese or sour cream--others didn't.
Shaking my head at the fact that a simple recipe could have so many variations, I started with this recipe from Ore Ida because they ought to know, they are the Tater Tot people. I then modified based on what sounded good from the other recipes I read. I browned the ground beef with some chopped onion and Lawry's salt, topped it with a can of drained Green Giant Corn Niblets (there is no substitute for Niblets in my book), and topped it with Cream of Mushroom soup, a little sour cream, and some cheddar cheese.
It was a smash hit and I don't know why I haven't made it before. The best part? Leftovers for Saturday lunch! I'm actually looking forward to leftovers...

Comments

Cara said…
You are a good wife and mom. Don't tell my husband, or he'll be wanting me to make tater tot casserole too ;)
It does look good though...