Live and Learn: Buy Fresh Asparagus


I'm playing catch up on my mealplans here due to another busy week. On Tuesday we had pork tenderloin on the grill which I marinated in some orange juice and salt and pepper. It was very good and tender. The orange flavor didn't come through very strongly, but it had a very nice fresh taste.
For sides I made pasta with parmesan and butter and used one of those frozen "steamer" bags of asparagus. The asparagus was limp and rubbery, not good at all. I followed the cooking instructions on the bag and usually my microwave works well with the standard instructions. Perhaps that was not true in this case, or a greater possibility: asparagus does not do well in the microwave. I think I'll stick to grilling it from now on.

Comments

MBMP said…
I cook my asparagus in the microwave all the time - I put it in a 11x7 pan, cover with Saran, and cook on high about 4 minutes. Tender crisp and delicious. I'll have to try the grilling, though!
I keep meaning to tell you I tried something new in desperation one night. One pound of browned ground round (say that really fast!), 2 T butter, 1 c cubed velveeta cheese, and 1/8 - 1/4 c milk to thin it out a little and you have Cheesey Joe! They were pretty good on buns with a little ketchup, mustard, and pickle.
Dave said…
Personally I think fresh asparagus is good no matter how you cook it. Frozen asparagus is not good.
Dave said…
The orange flavor of the pork actually came out stronger after the pork was reheated for my lunch today.