Putting Summer Veggies to Work

Slowly we are getting things back into the fall routine. There have been several changes to our schedule in the evenings, and that means dinner changes too. I've had enough "no dinner" nights to be able to shuffle those recipes to the nights when I needed something with a different timeline or prep.

This Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans, and Tomato was shuffled by at least a week, but it came in clutch when we needed it. I loved that it had great flavor, but tasted fresh and light too. You'll notice that mine was a little light on the tomato, as in it had only the tomato paste and not an actual tomato. I'll venture to guess that no one in our house missed it. I'm really the only tomato fan, especially when it comes to the cooked variety. You might also notice that ours has a little cheese sprinkled on top--it's my house and I'll add cheese if I like. (And you know I always like cheese.)

This is a terrific recipe for summer, especially if you've got a garden or a neighbor who keeps foisting things from their garden on you. It prepped pretty fast, even though the meat wasn't completely thawed from the freezer. I made sure to keep the zucchini on the crunchy side. Squishy, no-texture zucchini is never anyone's favorite. I'm looking forward to the leftovers as a delicious, light lunch too.

Comments

Dylan Baus said…

This recipe looks like a great option for those busy fall nights. I like that it’s versatile, with room to tweak ingredients—cheese is a must in my house too. The mix of ground turkey, zucchini, and black beans sounds like a good easy combination. I’ll definitely keep this recipe in mind, especially since zucchini is in season. Thanks for the idea, can't wait to see what's in house next week!
Skillet recipes are some of my favorites as a college student. Just throwing some good-for-you, fresh ingredients together into an easy meal would be great for meal prepping too! You can make a large portion and separate into Tupperware; it makes for quick and healthy meals to take on the go in between meetings and events at night!