Pop Tart Cookies

It's the end of my summer hiatus. Classes start again this week, and all signs point to a very busy semester for the whole fam. We had an enjoyable summer, but it definitely was the fastest one on record. In my seemingly short time in the kitchen this summer, I did find some excellent recipes, beginning with this one for Strawberry PopTart Cookies.

I was really curious how these would turn out. The idea sounded great to me, but several of the commenters on the original recipe made me a little concerned. I'm definitely a risk taker when it comes to trying recipes, though, so on I forged. In a surprise to everyone, I think I followed the cookie recipe exactly as written! It's a pretty basic cookie recipe, but uses the chopped PopTarts as the mix-in.

Because some of the commenters on the original post stated that the cookies were a little bland, I decided to go my own route on the glaze. I made the glaze as listed, but light on the cream. Then, I added a splash of vanilla (this is always a good decision), and strawberry jam (I just added it until I got a flavor and consistency I liked) before drizzling over the top off the cookies. The jam made the color a delightful pink, plus the blast of strawberry flavor brought out the best of the PopTart filling flavor. 

These cookies are delicious and FUN! I am excited to try some other varieties like a cookies and cream version or even maple and brown sugar. 

Comments