BFD - Breakfast for Dessert

You've heard of regular BFD, Breakfast For Dinner, and we're big fans of that around here. Turns out we are also pretty big fans of Breakfast for Dessert.

Some day while browsing on Pinterest, who knows when as I tend to browse daily, I pinned a recipe for Maple Bacon Pancake Cookies. Then the other day, as we polished off a pan of the last cookie bars I'd made, I realized I would need to pony up some dessert once again. The pancake cookies caught my eye, and I knew I had to give them a shot.

These taste A LOT like pancakes and bacon, in all the best ways. The maple flavor is ubiquitous, but not too much. The bacon is the perfect hint of salt, and this is quite possibly one of the softest cookies I've ever made. It's enough to make me consider adding some corn starch to all my cookies to see what happens. 

I made two changes to the recipe. 

  1. Used precooked Kirkland bacon instead of cooking my own. I did a rounded tablespoon of bits for every bacon strip (no idea if that's equivalent or not), plus a couple more pieces for the top of each cookie before baking.
  2. I used a regular sized cookie scoop. I love cookies, but I don't need a triple-sized cookie every time I reach for a sweet (frequently). The size did not dramatically cut the cooking time. I'd say mine took about 12 minutes to bake.
These are delightfully breakfasty and still taste like a cookie you'd grab as a dessert. It's kind of the best of both worlds and I'd highly recommend you give them a try.

Comments