Bacon (and Bakin') for Birthdays

Each year it's a challenge for me to make a birthday cake for my husband. Not because he's picky, because he will try anything cake/pie/cookie/dessert related. Rather, it's what fun creation can I find, that he will like, and makes him feel celebrated.

This year I was considering the usual options that are his favorites--peanut butter and chocolate, toffee, German chocolate, etc. I started cruising my Pinterest boards and found Brown Sugar Bacon Chocolate Cake. I immediately stopped looking, knowing full well that this was a cake he would love.

The chocolate cake is pretty standard, but with brown sugar instead of white. I don't know that I noticed a difference. In fact, I pretty much forgot that it was different. For the frosting, I used a chocolate buttercream frosting I've used before. I went hunting for the link, and I think this one is close. I made a recipe and a half, because I am not an expert at cake frosting and always like plenty to work with.

This cake is sweet and fun. My recommendations:
1. Make more bacon than the recipe calls for. You'll love the way the salt breaks through the chocolate flavor.
2. Bake 3 8" cakes, instead of baking two and cutting them in half. There's really too much batter for just two pans.
3. I think a pecan layer somewhere would be awesome. I think it would break up the chocolateyness just a little, and also the crunch would be nice.

You definitely can't go wrong spoiling someone with this cake, and you'll enjoy a piece yourself.

Comments