You Can Never Have Too Many Gyros

Gyros are a staple menu item if you live in Central Illinois, and I've made more than one variety in my blogging years. I'm happy to come back to them in all their many iterations as break from the other international flavors that regularly show up on rotation.

These Ground Beef Gyros were easy, and definitely didn't need 30 minutes to prepare. I found some ground lamb in the freezer, so I did a mixture of lamb and beef, and that just increased the authenticity of the dish. For seasoning, I happened to have some oregano in the freezer from a summer or two ago, so even that seemed like a little step up. I topped mine with tomato, green onion, low-fat feta, and this Tzatziki dip from Rojo's. I think that's part of a gyro's appeal--warm and cozy meat mixture topped with fresh and cool veggies and sauce.

There was nothing exotic about these gyros, but there were very good and would make a nice addition to whatever menu your planning. They are a little taste of another part of the world, without getting too crazy and unfamiliar.

Comments