Making Magic in a Crockpot When Your Crunched for Time

Things at our house have been bonkers. We have all our usual work, school, and home activities, compounded by a suddenly separationally anxious dog, and my Mom who was just diagnosed with lung cancer. To say we're learning new ways to do things is an understatement. You know it's complicated when a CrockPot meal is actually not the answer to the problem.

My day started by dropping the dog off at doggie daycare because she needs a change of scenery, and not to be left home without me. Transitioning back to my semester schedule has been extra tough on her this fall, and I wanted to break the cycle. Then on to work and student meetings. Next I met my parents to see the oncologist, and finally back to doggie daycare and home, where I arrived too close to dinner time for the slow cooker to work its magic.

Thankfully, I thought this through the day ahead of time, and while I was prepping dinner for one night, I was also prepping it for the next night simultaneously. I let the CrockPot do all the work during the evening hours leading up to bedtime. This Slow Cooker Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup smelled amazing! I couldn't resist a taste as I packaged it up for the next day.

For day of eating I went super gourmet and warmed this in the microwave. It was fantastic to have my dinner all ready to roll after all the stops and course changes in my day. The richness of flavor was fantastic (I used turkey smoked sausage, and several mini peppers in place of one big one). Each bite was truly tremendous. I can't wait to make this one again, especially if I manage to make and consume it in the same day.

Comments