Rhubarb Spring

I'm a bit out of touch with rhubarb season these days.  I remember from my childhood that it's a spring fruit, but now that I don't have it growing in the backyard, my timing always seems to be off.  My hubby enjoys the occasional rhubarb dessert, but I usually seem to miss the window of opportunity for when it's ripe in our area. 

Well, this year a local produce farm mentioned it on Facebook, and I managed to get myself there to get some.  And, since I'm out of school now, I actually had time to make a whole pie, crust and everything.  It was a good reminder of why I don't make a little pies completely from scratch!

I started with this all butter crust.  I made it by hand rather than using a food processor, and it was pretty easy.  Ultimately, I had to get my hands in there to get the dough to form, but it worked just fine.  Then, I used this recipe for the Best Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  As usual, I'm reluctant to cavalierly hand out a Best Ever title, but this one was pretty awesome.  Everyone at the table was pretty quiet as they worked their way through their piece, a sure sign that they are happy.  My kiddo even ate all her crust, so I'm definitely going to chalk that up in the win column. (Although, I did miss not getting her extra crust for myself.)

There's still time in rhubarb season to make a pie (or two) for yourself.  I highly recommend this combo!

Comments