Going Down in the Polls - A Mom's Fall From Grace

Around our house we repeatedly rate one another on how we're doing in the polls (approval polls, as used by Calvin in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip).  Do something good and your numbers go up.  Do something like stick to a bed time, or other basic parenting, and you go down.

I was actually pretty excited about these Hawaiian Sloppy Joes for National Sloppy Joe Day.  It seemed like an easy way to bring the Hawaiian twist to a traditional favorite.  And that's where my approval numbers started to fall, friends.  The child is not a fan of sloppy joes, which I've reviewed at length on this blog.  Add to that the fact that there was green pepper and onion in the mix, and I was really sunk.  Even bacon is not a redeeming quality in her book.  She soldiered through (because she's knows there's no other option), and really raved about the pineapple. 😂

What a great way to enjoy the sloppy joe tradition!  These were absolutely extra sloppy, but amazing.  I browned the ground beef, peppers, and onions, and then dumped them in a crock-pot.  Next I added all the sauce ingredients and the cooked, chopped bacon and gave it a good stir.  Things all cooked up together for a couple of hours and turned out beautifully.  There's really no need to mix up the sauce separately, or only add the bacon at the end.  Just mix it all in there!

I would totally make these again, but only if I've got some room in the polls to take the hit!

Comments