Soup with a French Twist

Chicken Cordon Bleu is a quintessential French dish that has a lot to love.  I was really happy to find this lower cal version in a soup.

The technique for prepping this soup was flat out weird.  I have never melted milk and cheese to add to a broth mixture, and then added fat and flour separately.  It seems like it would have made so much more sense to do a traditional roux, plus milk and cheese, and then ultimately added at the end.  With the suggested method, the milk and cheese stayed a little clumpy, and the fat and flour never thickened the soup.

So, while the flavor was really quite good, it felt pretty thin and watery.  The consistency tasted good, but didn't look like it should seems like you could have both with just a few changes.  The concept for the recipe is one I really like, so I may go in search of such a recipe.  I probably won't be making this one again, at least as is.

Comments