Improvise

On my menu this past week was a Bacon Ranch Meatloaf.  It sounded delightful, but we don't need three pounds of ground beef anything for our little family, so I went in search of an alternative solution.
 

I decided to use this Easy 1lb Meatloaf Recipe as my starting point, and then get creative.  To the ground beef I added the suggested oatmeal (first time to use that instead of breadcrumbs), a partial package of dry ranch dressing (it was missing a tablespoon or two), bacon crumbles (1/3 cup?), shredded cheddar Jack (1/3 cup?), about a 1/4 cup of ketchup, and one egg.  I really just eyeballed the bacon and cheese amounts for what looked to be a good mixture.  I added a sprinkle of cheese over the top in the last few minutes of baking, because, well, cheese.

This meatloaf was so good.  So good, in fact, that my kiddo enjoyed leftovers for the next day's breakfast.  I love the combination of barbecue and ranch flavors, so I dipped my in barbecue sauce.  In the future, I might do a smear of the sauce on top in stead of the cheese.  No matter which way, I'll be making this again. 

As our side, I tried this method of freezing corn (last July), and baking it in the oven.  It is super easy, if a little more watery than corn freshly picked.  I've got a few more ears in the freezer, so we'll enjoy those in the future, and I might look for a way to cut down on the moisture.


Finally, I threw together these Snickerdoodle Blondies.  They are everything you enjoy about a snickerdoodle cookie, only gooey-er and less labor intensive.  A definite win!

Comments