Salsa Verde and Scotcheroo Cake

I've finally figured out how our family can do Mexican with a little heat.  Salsa Verde, is the answer!  And not only that, they love it, even my super-sensitive little one.  


Which means she loved these Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef Tacos.  I loved the fact that they were amazingly simple.  Just dump and go, beautiful!  And tasty, too.  I'm looking forward to the leftovers on these too.

And then there was birthday cake.  And a story to go with it...


A couple of months ago, my hubby shared a picture to my Facebook timeline.  The picture was one of those traveling posts many times removed, from some bakery, somewhere, and it was a picture of Scotcheroo cupcakes.  It had a description, but no recipe, so that was what I had to work with.  So, challenge accepted, I decided to make Scotcheroo Cake.

I ended up using a vanilla cake mix and adding butterscotch and chocolate chips to the mixture.  I think used about a half cup of each.  I mixed them right into the batter, but if I had it to do over, I might save a few to drop on top of the batter in the pan.  They tend to sink, so this would make more of an even distribution.

For the frosting, and toppings, I made this Best Peanut Butter Frosting, and as frostings go, it was pretty delish.  For the Scotcheroo squares on top, I made the traditional recipe, but spread the peanut butter cereal mixture into a jelly roll pan and then doubled the chocolate/butterscotch topping.  (P.S. My sister says she's gone to making them this way often, and it's perfect for those of you who want a higher chocolate ratio.)  The thinner squares were easier to work with for the top of the cake.  

Finally, putting the whole thing together.  I put a few butterscotch and chocolate chips on top, then Scotcheroo squares, and finally chocolate drizzle.  It was a hit with the hubby, and certainly looked like a show stopper.  Not bad for making it up as I went along!😋

Comments