Midwestern Fare

So out of the blue the other day, my daughter informed me she doesn't like sloppy joes.  This was a complete surprise, and I know there was a time in her life when she specifically mentioned liking.  I guess times change.

Because sloppy joes were on the menu plan for the week, I was trying to figure out my best plan.  We don't kow tow to kiddo tastes at our house, but at the same time, I've got lots of recipes I want to make, why not look for something she'll enjoy too.



And then, of course, it hit me--Maid Rites!  A Maid Rite Diner is a Midwestern chain of 50's diner type restaurants where the signature dish is a loose meat sandwich.  They also serve awesome milk shakes and malts.

Pinterest is full of maid rite recipes.  I used this one, but cut the proportions back for just one pound of ground beef.  The crockpot make this super easy--just mix it all together and let it cook for four hours.  Oh and while you wait, enjoy the delicious smells wafting throughout the house.

This actually is a pretty close copy to the restaurant version.  I found it a tad sweeter than our local diner offers, but still very good.

If you are wanting a taste of the Midwest, or just need the perfect sloppy joe alternative, I think you've found it.

Comments