A Happy (Polish) Accident

Being an Illinoisan means living a life strongly influenced by the largest city in our state.  Which means today, the first Monday in March, is the state holiday known as Casimir Pulaski Day.  As a student I loved this holiday and celebrated without having any idea what I was celebrating.


These days, most schools, especially downstate, don't observe the holiday any more, but I unwittingly celebrated at our dinner table by fixing this Crockpot Pierogi Casserole with Kielbasa.  Perfect!

Not being of Polish descent, I didn't grow up eating pierogis, and don't have them often, if at all.  Since I knew this was coming up on the menu, I happened to order a bag of the Schwan's brand ahead of time.  To my uneducated palate, they were very good.  I added turkey kielbasa and the other ingredients (after first combining the cream cheese and broth as the recipe update suggests).

We all liked this dish.  It did get a little mushy, and certainly wasn't very pretty, cooking on high.  I think my crockpot might run hotter than the original poster.  Otherwise, it was yummy, and does make a ton, so plan on some leftovers.

Comments