Good Things Come When You Clean Out the Pantry

Summer is the time when I get caught up around home.  Today's project was cleaning out the pantry, whereupon I discovered some instant oatmeal packets.  Somewhere along the line, my little decided she was over oatmeal.  Which left me with several unopened packets sitting around, taking up space.


And then I remembered that you can make fruit crumble with oatmeal packets.  Perfect!  I also managed to use up some frozen blueberries and strawberries hanging around in the freezer.  Double perfect!

Since I was using frozen fruit instead of fresh, I added a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch to help thicken the juices.  And then, because I had to move a bag of chia seeds to get to my cornstarch, I had another idea--could I add the chia seeds to the crumble to produce a tapioca-like effect?  Google to the rescue!  It would seem you can use chia seeds for exactly that.  Another win.

The crisp was so good.  Not overly runny, and the flavoring from the oatmeal packet added a delightful something extra.  Totally buying more oatmeal so that I can do this again.

Comments