Happy Birthday Facebook

I happen to have one of the best jobs ever.  How many people get to play on social media and call it work?  Better still, how many people get to teach other people how to play on social media and call it work?  That's me!  I get to do that.

Which means, if the mood strikes me to celebrate Facebook's 10th birthday for class, I can.  And I did.


I decided to use the opportunity to make a birthday cake using the suggestions I've seen on Pinterest for how to make a cake mix taste like a bakery cake.  I don't know exactly how to define the flavor of a bakery cake, but I do know this was pretty good.  It had the refined quality that comes from using a mix, but there was a bit more substance to it.  It was deliciously moist and not a bit crumbly.

I also decided to experiment with dressing up canned frosting based on these suggestions.  I added about a quarter cup of powdered sugar, maybe a bit more, along with some vanilla and butter flavorings.  I was very pleased with this result too.  I don't think I would ever confuse it with homemade, but it certainly didn't have the sickeningly sweet flavor that comes in the straightforward canned variety.


All in all it was a good day.  I think my students enjoyed their cake, along with the change of pace from how classes are normally conducted.  I thought they were a pretty good bunch for going along with my crazy ideas.

Comments