It's a Pizza, It's a Pie

It's actually both.  This is a twofer post.


We started dinner with this Spaghizza.  I was anxious to make it, because pizza and pasta together sounded awesome, and of course, both dishes are generally a hit with the elementary school cohort.


This recipe lived up to my expectations, but make sure you add salt!  The noodle mixture needs some salt--maybe a 1/2 tsp mixed in?  I'm sure the recipe's creator expected that the cheese mixture would add more than enough, but in this case it didn't, and it's hard to salt the bottom layer once the toppings are in place.  The noodles make a nice base for the pizza toppings, and the crispy cheesy layer around the edge was divine.  A great change up for your pizza night, but also very familiar.

Then did we did pizza one better, we had pie.  Apple pie, because I hadn't made one yet this year, and you really should make an apple pie at least once a fall.  Given a wide variety of pies, I'll generally not choose the fruit variety, but something about bright autumn sunshine make apple pie a must.


I wanted a basic apple pie recipe, and not surprisingly, I haven't pinned one.  As I said, fruit pies really aren't on my radar.  So, I went to All Recipes and looked up the top rated apple pie.  It's a very different method of preparation.  I followed the advice of several reviewers and added cinnamon and nutmeg to the sauce mixture, as well as a little vanilla.  Instead of pouring the sauce over the apples in the pie shell, I mixed them together in a separate bowl.  I saved about a quarter of the sauce mixture and poured it over the top crust as suggested by the other reviewers as well.  What a great suggestion!  I was using refrigerated crusts, and this totally changed the texture and flavor of those crusts.  It was practically homemade.  Score!


The rest of the pie was amazing too.  We enjoyed it warm with vanilla ice cream--the perfect taste of fall.

Comments