A Toast to National Pasta Day


I have a bone to pick with whomever is in charge of the National Food Days.  I don't know who determines what day belongs to what food, but I feel like they have entirely too much power.  The selection of such special days implies rules where none need exist!

Thursday the 17th was designated National Pasta Day.  I know this because every brand and their brother was Tweeting with the reminders.  And here I sat with French Toast on the menu.  Totally non-National Food Day compliant, not to mention it meant my child would be eating breakfast for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I decided to remain committed to my plan, and make the best French Toast I could find given limited time, ingredients, and patience.  This Apple Pie Stuffed French Toast sounded delicious and seasonal, and, well, perfect.

Normally I put breakfast on a dinner menu for a quick, easy dinner on my teaching days.  I wouldn't say this French Toast is difficult, but it is a multi-step, extra dishes, kind of dish.  I just a made a half recipe and adjusted the ingredients accordingly.  It seemed like the apple filling got a little thick so do be on the lookout for that.  I added a little extra water to thin it just a little.  Otherwise, the assembly process was easy and they fried on my grilled in a little butter in no time.  As usual, I enjoyed whipped cream on mine, the rest of the fam chose syrup.  They sure have sweet-tooths!

Do add this to your breakfast or dinner menu this fall.  It is yum!

Comments