Just Keep Cooking


In preparing this month's menu, I made a concerted effort to steer away from Pinterest just a little, and instead focus on recipes that have been camping out, neglected, in my cookbooks.  This recipe for Napa Valley Chicken Salad Pie was one I have had stashed away for quite some time.  I'm a big fan of chicken salad, of all types and varietals--sweet and savory, hot or cold, curried, plain, etc.

As I started prepping the recipe, I wondered whether to follow the ingredients as listed or not.  Often, I tinker with a recipe to reflect our personal tastes, however this time I decided that maybe I should follow the recipe to stretch our taste buds a little.  (I did have to substitute marjoram for tarragon, but that was it.)

I guess I should have stuck with my gut.  There were many grumbles about the quantity of celery, the presence of broccoli, and the decoration of pecans.  If you like other hot chicken salad dishes, or even regular chicken salad and don't have a strong aversion to celery, you'll probably enjoy this recipe.  I did.  However, since I'm not really ever in a position where I would enjoy eating a whole pie by myself, and since most likely I will be heartily sick of it by the time leftovers are eaten, this recipe is getting tossed.

Comments