On Time is Late, Early is On Time

That's pretty much my philosophy in life.  I can NOT stand to be late.  (Which is ironic, as I was just sharing with my husband the other day, because up until the third grade I was probably tardy to school most days.  Guess I got all my lateness in before age eight.)

In this case I am on time for National Pie Day, January 23rd.  It was completely unintentional, of course, but I'm not above taking credit for it anyway.  Instead of the dessert variety, though, we went for the savory--Meatloaf Pie.


Given the fact that it was five degrees outside, this was the perfect comfort food.  There's nothing terribly unusual about the meatloaf, but the mashed potatoes with cheese on top are the perfect finish.  I also like the fact that it doesn't take as long as your standard loaf to bake.

I kind of followed this recipe.  From the get go I was only using one pound of ground beef, so I had to make some adjustments to the other ingredients.  The mixture still seemed like it had too much liquid in it, so I added a few finely chopped baby bellas.  It was a nice filler as far as texture is concerned without really changing the flavor.  Also, I had leftover mashed potatoes in the freezer that I used as the top layer, rather than instant (I still added the mustard to them, though).

Given the rave reviews from the hubby, it looks like I will definitely be making this again.  No objections from me, either, it was yummy!

Comments