Dinner Falls Apart

We're working hard to keep it together around here.  Sometimes we're having more luck than at others.

Last night as I was getting ready to prepare dinner, I discovered that my kitchen light fixture no longer worked.  I tried checking switches, bulbs, circuits--nothing.  When my husband got home, we continued to mull over what could possibly have gone wrong with the light (ultimately, the whole fixture died).

Luckily, dinner was a snap to prepare without my overhead light.  I had baked chicken on the menu for Monday, which subsequently got moved to Tuesday because of leftover chili from last week.  (Having a menu plan sometimes requires more flexibility than others.)  My work plan for yesterday dictated being gone from the house for most of the day and only whole chickens available when I shopped at Walmart meant that I had to change up my dinner prep.  What to do?  Pull out the crock-pot of course!

 A quick search on Pinterest yielded several results for whole chickens in the slow cooker, including this one.    Most of the recipes I read were pretty basic--put the chicken in, season, add some broth.  Easy enough.  In my case, I seasoned with Lawry's, added some chopped onion and broth, and left for work.

I came home to completely fallen a part chicken.  It was so tender that I couldn't pull whole pieces out of the crock with my tongs.  I also used some of the broth to make delicious homemade gravy.

This is a seriously low effort meal.  We had a tasty home cooked meal that was pure comfort food, AND I've got cooked chicken packed away in the freezer for another meal somewhere down the road.

Comments