With a Nod to the South


Growing up north of the Mason-Dixon line, grits were not on our menu.  I knew about grits, of course.  We encountered them on restaurant menus on vacation, and some of my relatives enjoy them.

I, myself, had never made grits, however.  When I came across this recipe for BBQ Pot Roast and Cheddar Ranch Grits, I knew I had to give them a try.

The roast is super easy.  Combine the sauce ingredients, throw it over the meat in the crock pot and wait for nine hours.  Done and yummy!

The grits are fairly simple, too.  However, we weren't as impressed with these.  I think the ratio of liquid to grits was a little off for the grits I was using because they turned out very thick.  They definitely needed the gravy from the roast to thin them out a bit.

As excited as I was about this recipe, I think I'll go back to a grit-less life, at least until I have the opportunity to eat ones made by someone who knows what she is doing.  As for the roast, I would definitely make it again.  I'm also looking forward to the leftovers as BBQ beef sandwiches.  Mmmmm.

Comments