Thanksgiving - On the Side


This is my shopping cart today.  Hopefully I got everything I needed from my ginormous shopping list.

I'm sure that many of you are working feverishly, as I am, in preparation for a big Turkey Day feast.  Even if you are only bringing a dish to contribute to a larger effort, it requires some planning to fit everything normal and holiday together.

I have a recommendation if you are in charge of the veggie!  Ditch the normal cream of mushroom soup green bean casserole and make Grandma's Green Bean Casserole!  I made it for our church Thanksgiving feast on Sunday, and it was so yummy.

Some recommendations based on my experience:
1.  Use frozen green beans.  I didn't and while it was still good, there's something about frozen green beans that tastes infinitely fresher.
2.  Add extra cheese.  Now, this is really my rule of thumb for all recipes, but it's extra special here.  Mix a little into the green bean picture, then be sure to add a nice layer to the top.
3.  This works in the crock pot!  (Just in case you need to free up oven space.)  Instead of the oven for 30 minutes, I cooked mine on low for about three hours.  I doubt it needs that long, but it was what fit around our church services nicely.  Just add your cracker crumbs before serving to keep them from getting soggy.

Comments