A Twist on Takeout


Pinterest is full of Sweet and Sour Chicken recipes, including this one.  I will admit to being a skeptic.  I've tried a lot of sweet and sour chicken recipes from time to time, and repeatedly been disappointed.  So many people were on board (no pun intended) with this one, though, that I felt compelled to give it a try.

I'll say, up front, that this is not a difficult recipe.  It's a bit messy to prepare--the cornstarch and egg tend to make an icky paste, but soldier on, it's worth it. 

I choose to only make a half recipe, and it was enough for our little family, served over rice, as well as several leftover portions.  My other variations adding some large pieces of bell pepper and onion to the skillet as the chicken finished frying and stirring in a few pieces of cooked broccoli to the mixture before it went in the oven.  I really liked the addition of the veggies for color, flavor, and crunch.

This chicken is delicious and earned rave reviews from the hubby.  The little one was not as impressed, but I think she got stuck on the "sour" in the title and convinced herself she was NOT going to like it. 

What a great alternative to takeout!  You'll definitely enjoy eating this one!  The only thing missing from our order was some crab rangoon. Maybe next time.  I've seen a lot of pins for that too!

Comments