Cookout Season Begins

Summer is finally here!  The calendar is filling up with all kinds of fun things--days at the pool, evenings on the patio with the neighbors, birthdays, cookouts, and on and on.

The summer social season started at our house on Memorial Day.  We had a few neighbors over for a simple cookout.  Along with brats and hot dogs, I made this Pretty in Pink Sangria and this Pineapple Cheese Dip.  Bragging just a bit, I'd say both were a pretty yummy way to start our evening. 

The sangria was sweet and fruity.  My neighbor said "There's alcohol in this?!"  It's definitely easy going down.  I used fresh strawberries instead of frozen and added two limes sliced.  The rest of the recipe I followed as written.

I've been wanting to make this pineapple dip forever.  I've seen it in a lot of cookbooks and just never actually made it.  For this cookout it fit the bill because there was a veggie in the crowd (automatically omitting 80% of the pins I have, most of which include bacon!)  It was a pretty small gathering so I chose to make a half batch.  I mostly followed the recipe, with the only alteration being a light toast to the pecans before I stirred them in.  It was a great combination of simple flavors that was not too heavy.  I'll definitely make it again in the future.  I also really enjoyed the leftovers!  I added a thin smear to grilled ham and cheeses for a little extra flavor, and sneaked some on a cracker for a snack once or twice.

Can't wait to see what fun (and great food!) are in store for the rest of summer!

Comments