Greek? To Me

When I was growing up, Mom discovered Bisquick Impossible Pies and they quickly became a regular on the family dinner table.  Earlier this spring I discovered the new version of Impossible Pies - miniature.  What's not to love about muffin shaped food?  Plus there's the nostalia effect prompting me to try a few versions.

The beauty of Impossible Pies is that you throw everything in the dish and the Bisquick and egg does the work of bringing the dish together.  These Impossibly Easy Mini Greek Pies were no exception.  I soon learned, though, that making mini pies requires more work.  Spooning in the Bisquick batter first, then meat, then more Bisquick.  A little laborious if you ask me.  Plus, a reviewer had said that you have to be very careful with the amounts, otherwise you won't get 12 muffins.  So there I was with measuring spoon and cup in hand, just to get the right distribution.

The flavor of this dish is okay.  We added salt at the table, and they really needed it.  I didn't feel like a particularly strong "Greek" flavor came through.  If you got the right combo of feta and beef in a bite, the flavors were better, but it's a bit hit or miss, and in a muffin size portion there aren't that many bites you can put together.

In sum, I'd say these are probably going to go by the wayside.  They aren't bad but I've got some other choices I'd choose over these any time.

Comments