Thanksgiving Time

Thanksgiving is upon us this week.  Every year at our church we celebrate Thanksgiving together the Sunday ahead of the holiday.  It's quite the feast and definitely a challenge to find a traditional Thanksgiving dish that will heat up or hold up while we are in worship service.

This year I signed up to bring mashed potatoes then went in search of a slow cooker recipe.  I've used the slow cooker before, but was less than pleased with the results--the potatoes were just too gummy.  This recipe for Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes got great reviews on All Recipes, so I decided to take the chance.

Wow, do these smell good as they are cooking!  (Even my five year old noticed the delicious smell.)  I don't think I've ever noticed boiling potatoes before, but I could hardly wait for these to get done!   I used extra chicken bouillon (base) as one reviewer suggested, and more garlic than stated in the recipe.

Once the potatoes were done cooking, I added the cream cheese and sour cream.  I also used the reserved cooking liquid which I had never done before.  I made sure the potatoes were a nice, almost-soupy, consistency.  Then, put them in the fridge overnight. 

In the morning I let the potatoes sit out on the counter for a while and then they cooked on low for around five hours to warm them.  I did follow another reviewer's suggestion and placed a towel between the potatoes and the lid of the slow cooker to absorb the moisture.  The consistency was perfect and they tasted fabulous.  (Am I allowed to compliment myself that strongly?  I hope so.)

If you are looking for a way to free up some oven or stove space for you holiday preparations, definitely use this recipe.  It's so easy and yummy.

Comments