Five or Fewer - Chicken Stroganoff

I'm not sure where I found this recipe for Chicken Stroganoff, perhaps one of those recipe compilation magazines in the check-out lane at Walmart. Whatever the case, I'm keeping it!

Chicken Stroganoff

3 Tbsp butter
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch chunks
1 (8 oz) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
1 cup sour cream

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
Season chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown. Add mushrooms, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in soup, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over biscuits.

My substitutions: I only used 2 Tbsp of butter and it was more than adequate. Instead of 3 chicken breasts I also only used 2 and it was sufficient. I didn't have the cream of mushroom soup with garlic so I used plain and added garlic separately. Personally, I think the garlic unnecessary. There is plenty of flavor without it. In fact, the garlic flavor didn't seem to blend very well with the rest of the dish.

One word on serving over biscuits--this was a new idea for me. Usually I think of stroganoff as a noodle dish, but I decided to chance the biscuits since I had a can of them in the refrigerator that needed to be used. Super duper! The combination of the biscuits with the stroganoff sauce was delicious.

Comments