Corny

I don't think we eat enough seafood and fish at our house. We don't care for salmon and it seems there's only so much you can do with your standard whitefish such as tilapia. We like shrimp and crab, but I also don't run across nearly as many of those recipes as I do for beef, chicken and pork. This recipe for Creamy Shrimp with Corn and Bacon caught my eye in Real Simple last year and I added it to my recipe book. I finally got around to trying it on Wednesday night.
Verdict? We liked it, but I doubt it will hang around. It wasn't spectacular. Now, I'll grant that my deviations my have weakened the flavor a bit. First, I didn't use heavy cream. It's not something I keep on hand and who needs the extra calories for a weeknight dinner? Second, I used already cooked, frozen shrimp. Third, no white wine at our house so I used broth instead. Finally, I served it over angel hair pasta in place of rice. Nothing too major, but perhaps enough to diminish the recipe's pizzazz a bit.

Comments