Snowy Day Meal

It turned out to be a steady slow snowy day today and luckily the menu plan matched with the weather. I used this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings from About.com. It was steaming hot and warmed us right up from the blustery wind and snowflakes outside. Plus, I got the pleasure of smelling the chicken smell all day. My brain knew a great meal was coming!
I used three boneless skinless chicken breasts and left them whole while they cooked. Then before I added the dumplings I shredded the chicken and gave the whole pot a stir. I added my dumplings (made from Bisquick's Heart Healthy mix) about an hour before we ate and that wasn't too long. The 20-25 minutes the recipe suggests may be fine too, but if your schedule needs a little flexibility, it won't hurt to add the dumplings early. Other modifications? I did not use any mushrooms because I didn't have any, but I did add just a few pieces of celery for flavor.

Comments