In-Law Guinea Pigs

I'm so glad my in-laws are such good sports. They made the drive south to visit us yesterday, and I treated them to a dinner of three completely new recipes. Luckily each recipe worked just fine and two of them were pretty terrific. The third has great potential.

I started with this recipe for Meatball Sub Casserole from Taste of Home. I made it even simpler by using frozen meatballs. I cut the water amount down to half of a cup. A full cup seemed like it would make things just too soupy. Whatever the case, it came out fine.

Our side dish was this recipe for Mixed Apple Salad with Creamy Orange Dressing. For serving purposed I added the creamy dressing to the apples just before serving and sprinkled the pecans on top. In the future I would drain the apple juice/lemon juice/marmalade concoction off first, as the creamy dressing got too runny. Instead of making my own pecans, i used part of a can of bought praline pecans.

For dessert I tried this recipe from Libby's for Pumpkin Pecan Rum Cake. It was really tasty. The only change I would make would be to double the glaze recipe for the future. It's an awesome flavor combination with the cake and there just wasn't enough for my liking.

Comments