Three Days, Three New Recipes

The best thing about menu planning is all the new things I'm trying. Monday evening was this Skillet Lasagna recipe from Evening Edge. I used skim milk ricotta and 2% fat Italian blend cheese and it worked just fine. The one modification I would say is to let the lasagna noodles cook far longer than 12 minutes. I'm guessing you'll need to let it go closer to 18-20 minutes. This is a recipe I'll keep around and come back to--yummy taste, less effort than regular lasagna.
On Tuesday I did a crockpot Beef Stew. I'd been looking for just such a recipe for some time, but I as I've said before I don't like extra prep work. Several of the stew recipes I've seen for the crockpot required browning the meat first. This does not so it was worth a try. It's very tasty, but if you are looking for a thick gravy with your stew, you'll have to do something else to get it to thicken more. I was so nice though to come home from a long day and have something toasty and tasty for dinner.
Wednesdays are always interesting cooking days--I'm home half the day, but getting ready to be gone most of the evening. I found a simple Texas Corn Chowder recipe that seemed like an easy throw together solution. You'll want to add some seasoning to the recipe--I added chili powder, a sprinkle of cumin, some dried minced onion, a few dried chives, and lots of salt and pepper. I topped it off with sour cream, fiesta blend cheese, and some diced green pepper. We crumbled Doritos onto the top. It's a great vegetarian dish for anyone who cares, and it passed the test with my husband who's a meat guy.
Here's the recipe from FixFreezeFeast:

Texas Corn Chowder
1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

1 (15-ounce) can creamed style corn1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat; simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Kati’s note: I substituted regular diced tomatoes and added 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning. As Kathleen notes, this soup can be topped with diced green pepper, jalapeno, or sour cream. I used sour cream and cheddar cheese. Green onion would also be nice.

Comments