Birthday Cake Education

It was birthday celebration time in our house again, and this year was a pretty simple year. The kiddo requested vanilla cake with ermine frosting. This is similar to other years, but I was absolutely determined to get the frosting consistency right this year. 

I started with a French Vanilla cake mix, but swapped melted butter for the oil, added an extra egg, and swapped milk for the water, all to make it more flavorful and delicious. I baked three eight inch layers, so they were pretty thin, but with ermine frosting, the higher the frosting to cake ration, the better.

Then for the frosting, I decided to follow these instructions. I've had so much trouble in the past with this type of frosting "breaking", or the sugar not dissolving properly, and so much more. I was determined to finally get it right. I made a double batch of the three cup recipe, because a quick Google told me I'd need between 4-5 cups for the size/layers I had. It ended up being about exactly right, and I am definitely not sorry to have a little left over in the refrigerator. Even those these steps are super exacting, they are easy to follow, and the result was amazing. It is the smoothest texture frosting I have ever made. So smooth that I hardly recognized it as ermine. 

To finish the cake, I just used flowers in her favorite colors. I'm learning the fresh flowers are one of the best ways to decorate. It goes pretty fast, and it's hard to mess it up. All in all, this is one of the tastiest cakes I've ever made, even if it was pretty vanilla. I'm a pretty vanilla girl, so that was just fine in my book.

Comments