Travel by Cookie

There are certain flavors that instantly transport me to places I've been, and anything with macadamia nuts is one of those foods. The Hawaiian Islands have many distinctive flavors, but macadamia nuts are probably one of the most memorable. However, often they are paired with white chocolate, and I find that to be just too sweet and predictable. These Big Island Cookies have all the macadamia nut goodness with a more nuanced flavor, even if I did skip the espresso powder.

First off, these are a hefty cookie. They use the big cookie scoop, so you know from the outset it will be a bigger bite. Then, add in all the mix-in ingredients, and you've got yourself a nutty, chocolatey taste of the South Pacific. As mentioned previously, I did skip the espresso powder because I don't keep it on hand. Also, my coconut was sweetened, as that is the kind I usually buy and keep in the cupboard. Honestly, I can never really tell a difference between sweetened/non-sweetened when I bake, so why mess around with keeping two kinds?

This is a delicious cookie. There's lots going on, but it all works so well together. I loved that there was a nice macadamia flavor without being super sweet. The coconut flavor is there without be overpowering either. I would definitely make these to share with friends or take to a cookie exchange, as they familiar but still a little different than expected. Even if you just make them for yourself, you'll get a great taste of the Islands right in your own kitchen.

Comments

anya long said…
I love cookies. Really anything with sugar in it! I would love to try this recipe. I used to make chocolate chip cookies but realized they would be devoured in under 2 days so I started making peanut butter cookies which are "healthier" but these look delicious! I will make them the next time I am in the baking mood!